Thursday, August 28, 2008

Pilot Idea!

Some people get really private about their story ideas. Me? Not so much. Here's my newest pilot concept!

Basically, in World War II a group of war correspondents stumbles onto some strange events. It soon becomes clear that this is no ordinary war; it's Ragnarok, the Nordic concept of the end of the world.

I'm super excited about this idea. Can't start writing it yet though, because I need to do a ton of research first. Need to know the ins and outs of both World War II and Norse mythology. I have a decent understanding of both (5 on the AP European History test, what what), but I want to be an expert before I start on this thing. One of my professors once said "you can't fake the research" and I intend to take that to heart. It's really annoying when a show tries to do something historical and bungles the facts.

The reason I'm happiest about this concept is all the directions it can go, and all the themes it can tackle. World War II has so much material for this kind of story. Historically, Hitler made a lot of choices that made absolutely no military sense. Like at Dunkirk, he had the English army in the palm of his hand but instead of moving forward he decided to give them time to escape. In this story, decisions like that will be made to bring about Ragnarok.

Not sure if I'll keep it historically accurate or not. I'm really tempted to kill a major historical figure in the pilot (Churchill, FDR, Mussolini), just to let the audience know that this story can go anywhere. Because let's face it, if this story is historically accurate then Ragnarok doesn't happen and the world makes it to at least 2008. I want there to be the threat that the world could end in the 1940s.

There's still a lot of concept work to be done, but I think there's a lot of potential here.

No comments: