Friday, October 10, 2008

My opinion of Chuck

A few posts ago I listed shows I was interested in trying out this fall, one of which was "Chuck". After consulting schedules, I was unpleasantly surprised to find that it has the timeslot for Gossip Girl. I hate when this happens. I want to start watching Ugly Betty, but it conflicts with 30 Rock and The Office!

However, last Monday Gossip Girl was a rerun, so I was able to watch the season premier for Chuck. And was thoroughly underwhelmed. There wasn't particularly anything wrong with it, it just didn't have anything really special. It's kind of a hybrid between spy thriller and sitcom, but it lacks the excitement of a thriller and laughs of a sitcom. So you're left with spies talking about their feelings. Which is a little unappealing. I did think that the romance between Chuck and the spy lady was cute though. I'm not sure, if Gossip Girl has another rerun I might try it again, but I definitely was not hooked.

As for Gossip Girl, I really like how it's going so far! I feel like a fourteen-year-old when I watch it, but I still like it. I think that's one thing about writing a high school show. They always seem to be better when they appeal to both people in high school and out of high school. I know a lot of people my age who really like Gossip Girl, even though we're all out of our teens. I think it's something about the universality of it. When a high school show is just about who's dating who and what scandal's going on now then it's not broadly appealing. But when a show deals with those things, but also manages to handle the universal idea of coming of age then it becomes something everyone can enjoy.

I love the fall. Beautiful foliage and fresh tv!

No comments: